|Baton Rouge, Louisiana ||
LSU Network Policies
Important! DO NOT register a machine that is not your responsibility. When you register a computer you will be held accountable for all actions performed on that computer.
LSU Summary of Computer Usage Policy
An individual who uses the computer resources provided by Louisiana State University should be aware of the following:
- LSU computer resources are defined as all publicly available networks, processors, storage, peripherals and supplies under the administration of the Office of Computing Services and various academic departments and colleges.
- Use of the LSU computing and network resources is a privilege and not a right. As with all privileges, abuses will not be tolerated.
- An individual member of the LSU community, faculty, staff or student may be issued a logonid to access one or more LSU computing resources. This logonid will remain valid so long as the individual is associated with LSU. The proper use of a logonid is ultimately the responsibility of the individual under whose name it has been assigned. Therefore, guard your passwords and do not share your logonid.
- The use of another individual's logonid without his/her expressed consent will be viewed as the stealing of LSU resources and as computer fraud.
- Inappropriate use of the Internet and other networks to which LSU is directly or indirectly connected will be deemed abuse of computer privileges. Examples of inappropriate use of the networks are participation in network activities that place a strain on limited computer resources including any type of network games, the sending of obscene and/or harassing messages to other individuals on the network, the sending of unapproved bulk mailings, illegal possession or utilization of copyrighted material (See LSU DMCA Policy) and the unauthorized access or attempted access of another network computer system from LSU computer resources.
Louisiana State University will take the following action against an individual who abuses or has gained unauthorized access to computer resources:
- The logonid will be immediately inactivated.
- The appropriate administrative authorities (LSU, state or federal) will be informed.
- Actions taken by the administrative authorities will depend on the severity of the computer abuse. The LSU Code of Student Conduct, Louisiana R.S. 14:73, Title 18 of U.S. Code 1030, Title 18 of the U.S. Code 2701 as well as other state and federal laws will be used in determining appropriate action.
Louisiana State University DMCA Policy and Agent Information
Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA), it is the policy of Louisiana State University to expeditiously investigate notices of copyright infringement and to act on infringing activity in an appropriate manner.
In accordance with the DMCA, any activity that may constitute a copyright infringement should be reported in writing to the university's DMCA agent. The designated DMCA agent at Louisiana State University is:
Agent Name : Brian Nichols
Title : IT Security & Policy Officer
Address : 200 Frey Computing Serv Cntr
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Telephone : 225-578-3700
Fax : 225-578-3709
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Notice and Takedown Procedure
Louisiana State University expects all users to comply with the LSU Computer Usage Policy and all copyright laws. In compliance with the DMCA, Louisiana State University will investigate allegations of copyright infringement, and the university reserves the right to eliminate access to infringed material and to suspend or terminate computer and network access for persons suspected of violating copyright laws and/or LSU computer usage policies.